Thursday, March 20, 2014

Boomerang Cafe Review

REVIEW: BOOMERANG CAFE 

P.S: Everything in this post is neither sponsored nor paid. Every description, opinion are mine and only mine.

Earlier in the week, K and I decided to go out for a brunch date. Seeing that we haven't had one in a long time, we decided to do some research and found out that there were a few brunch places that were highly raved about both on social media as well as reviews from other bloggers. (Famous food blogger that i shall not name...)

So we were pretty excited to try out Boomerang cafe as it was one of the recommendations in his blog for favorite brunch spots in Singapore. However, I guess I should have known better then to take everything at face value... I mean... food bloggers are paid to do reviews aren't they?

So anyway, we decided to settle in and the service staff was prompt with serving us water which i very much appreciated... (Seeing how freaking hot Singapore's weather is and i had to walk a distance from clarke quay mrt before reaching the cafe)

It was a quaint, quiet cafe tucked away at robertson quay and I must say that it is pretty hard to find. Took us a while, but we got there. It's definitely a place that most expats tend to grab coffee from before work and it's pretty interesting to note that there were many locals. (Or at least at the time i went, it was relatively empty).

Having walked for quite a while, we were hoping that the menu would be more exciting. Unfortunately, it seemed pretty mundane with the standard eggs benedict, waffles, pancakes, big breakfast.... etc... At this point, I must say that the service staff was pretty rude when she decided to hurry us in our order. K and I were still busy looking through the menu when she rudely commented "So are you all done? Do you know what you want yet?"

Wow. So much for customer service... Like hello?! I've only stared at the menu for a meager 2 seconds. Chill lady. I didn't give it much thought and simply dismissed her by telling her to come back later when we've decided.

Once we were more or less decided, we placed our order and I had the usual Eggs Benedict with roasted potatoes and Iced tea, while K ordered his favorite banana pancakes with a vanilla milkshake to go along with.

I must say that the food took a LOONGGGGGGG time to arrive!!! We were already famished when the food arrived. You would think that by now, anything that we put into our mouths would taste good. But nope... Boy oh boy. The Eggs Benedict were cooked well but the eggs were slightly overcooked. The yolk wasn't as runny as i wanted it to be. Not to mention, the hollandaise sauce giiven was barely enough to cover the top of the egg. So... being the typical girl that i am, i decided to ask for more. Thankfully, the waitresses obliged without complain. I swear that may just have been my tipping point. The roasted potatoes were bland and severely under-seasoned.

Am i being too critical? I mean I wouldn't consider myself to have an extremely sophisticated palette. But even then... these eggs couldn't justify or warrant the $15 price tag that came along with it...

My ratings on Boomerang's Eggs Benedict: Probably a 5/10.

Hoping that the food served at boomerang wasn't all that bad, I turned to K and asked if his orders were satisfactory. He gave me a glum look and proceeded to drench his pancakes with maple syrup! Prior to that, he took a bite out of the pancake. I asked if it was any good without the maple syrup and he gave me a look that i can only describe as being "despondent". HAHA! I'm really not exaggerating. We love our food.

I decided to try it for myself. So i took a bite of the pancakes and man.... It was heavy, starchy and completely tasteless (Apart from the sweetness of the maple syrup). I guess the good thing about such pancakes is that its really filling. One meal of that and you'd probably be too full to eat anything after.

Lastly, about the drinks... With such negative comments above, I thought I'd end with something a little more positive. Their drinks were really quite good. The iced tea that I ordered was lovely. I don't like my teas sweetened so its sweetness was exact on par. It was refreshing and really soothing for the throat. K's vanilla milkshake was delicious as well. It was creamy, thick and really slightly foamy at the top. (Think of hot chocolate foam) However, it's small glass didn't really warrant the price tag of $11. But i guess it's worth it. The vanilla flavor wasn't overpowering and the mixture of vanilla and milk is simply a match made in heaven. :)

So i guess if i could recommend anything... It would be their drinks. But hey, don't take my word for it. You can try their food too! I mean... really. These are just my thoughts.

Well, enough of my ranting, I shall let the pictures do the talking...


The drinks that we've ordered came first! Yummmmmmmyy!


After editing, the eggs ben look pretty delectable. This picture was taken after i had requested for more hollandaise sauce and added it myself!... 

K's pancakes! Maple syrup and greek yoghurt to go with. The batter was wayyy too thick in my opinion.

Yup, that's our meal alright.

Trying to capture the breaking of the eggs ben! This is like some Masterchef moment where you see if your eggs are overcooked or undercooked. 

Almost there....

Looks pretty good doesn't it? The first egg was slightly runnier than the other, but still wasn't fantastic in my opinion. By the time i got to eating the other egg, it was harden, the yolk was encapsulated in a sac and it wasn't as runny anymore :'(

Was it just a bad day that we visited? I mean if a restaurant is able to display such inconsistencies. Would you wake up early in the morning just to make a trip down? I guess that's why businesses lose customer equity. One bad experience is ALL it takes to lose a customer for good. In our case, 2 customers... 
For the next visit, we would be sure to try and source for more reliable reviews before making a trip down to any cafes. :) 

Have a good night everyone! 

Plenty of love, 







No comments:

Post a Comment